THEIA: THE visIon and Analytics lab
Welcome to the THEIA: THE visIon and Analytics lab. The THEIA lab is based in the School of Computer Science, University College Dublin. Our group’s research is funded by University College Dublin and the ADAPT SFI Research Centre.
Our research interests are in the area of computer vision, image processing, and remote sensing. We use techniques from statistical machine learning and deep learning, to solve interdisciplinary computational problems in various fields of digital multimedia, atmospheric research, and solar and renewable energy.
We always look for (independent!) postdoctoral researchers, (hard-working!) PhD students, and (ambitious!) interns to join us, contact us for more details.
Murhaf HOSSARI is a Research Scientist at Nokia Bell Labs, based at Sunnyvale, California, United States. His main interests and expertise are in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning and Deep Learning. Prior to Nokia Bell Labs, Murhaf worked in ADAPT Centre for 3 years and Apple Inc. for 5 years. He won the 2018 DatSci award for Best Contribution to Data Science from Academic Research Body.
Fabrizio ORLANDI is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie EDGE Research Scientist at ADAPT Centre. His research interests are focused on Knowledge Graphs, Semantic Web, Web of Data, Knowledge Representation and the application of semantic technologies to different domains, such as Social Media, Personalisation and Open Government Data.
Muhammad Salman PATHAN is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie ELITE-S Research fellow at ADAPT centre. He has completed his PhD in Software Engineering from Beijing University of Technology where he was awarded 4 years fully funded Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC) Scholarship. His research interests include machine learning, information security, and health care data.
Alexia Larchen COSTUCHEN is a Ph.D. candidate at the Polytechnic University of Valencia (UPV), Spain. She is invited as a visiting researcher to University College Dublin to contribute to the development of gamified survey software under the supervision of Dr. Soumyabrata Dev. Her current research interests include cognitive linguistics and innovations in second-language learning and teaching. She is a member of the GIEL research group (GIUV2013-081) at the University of Valencia, Spain, and is currently participating in gamification and game-design projects in Spain, Sweden, and Ireland.
Jiantao WU (Ivan) is pursuing his PhD at the School of Computer Science, University College Dublin. His thesis is co-supervised by Dr Fabrizio Orlandi and Prof Declan O'Sullivan. Jiantao has been a software engineer for 2 years in the field of knowledge graph applications at China Electronics Technology Group Corporation before the commence of his research role at UCD. Prior to this, he completed his Masters from University College London and Bachelors from Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology. His research interests includes knowledge graphs, machine learning, and sensor data processing.
Mayank JAIN is pursuing his PhD at the School of Computer Science, University College Dublin. He did his M.Sc. Artificial Intelligence from the University of Edinburgh in 2019, and B.Tech. IT and Mathematical Innovations - Major: Electronics and Robotics from the Cluster Innovation Centre, University of Delhi in 2015. He is the co-founder of Imfundo Technologies Pvt. Ltd., for which he worked as Director for 3 years. The startup was focused on introducing STEM education modules in a gamified manner for young kids. He has also been associated with Defence Terrain Research Laboratory (Defence Research and Development Organization, Government of India), Design Innovation Centre (University of Delhi) and Indian Institute of Technology (Mumbai, India) at various times in his academic career. He has been a recipient of several fellowships and scholarships, including the Scottish Saltire Scholarship, Delhi University Innovation Project Fellowship, Global Problem Solving Consortium - Water Sustainability Fellowship'2013 and UCD-CS PhD Scholarship. His major research interests are computer vision, deep learning, and robotics.
Zixiang XU (Dante) is pursuing his MSc at the School of Computer Science, University College Dublin. His project is supervised by Dr Abraham Campbell and Dr Soumyabrata Dev. Zixiang received his undergraduate from Beijing-Dublin International College. His research interests include virtual reality, augmented reality, data visualization and machine learning. Currently, he is working with CONSUS to visualize the farming data into 3D graphs and output them with augmented reality technology in devices.
Yuan LIANG (Nick) is currently pursuing his MSc in Computer Science at University College Dublin. He received his BSc degree and B.Eng degree from Beijing University of Technology in Software Engineering. His main areas of interest are computer vision, machine learning and deep learning. Currently, he is working on his thesis on the visualization of agricultural big data with machine learning.
Killian Callaghan is a fourth-year BSc Computer Science student, studying at University College Dublin. He has an interest in science and technology. He has many interests, such as video games, going to the gym and making things. He hopes to learn more about software development, virtual reality and cyber security.
Andra Antal-Berbecaru is a fourth-year BSc Computer Science student, studying at University College Dublin. She has an interest in software development and is eager to complete her degree and contribute positively to technology. She has many interests, including sewing and roller skating, and enjoys the process of creating something from start to finish. Over the course of her degree, Andra has come to appreciate working within a team environment, and although an introvert, now prefers it over independent work.
Jarrett Pierse is a fourth-year BSc Computer Science student, studying at University College Dublin. He has a keen interest in business and technology with a focus on developing knowledge in the area of machine learning and artificial intelligence. He is a black belt in Shotokan karate and enjoys all things tech.
Shane COOKE is a fourth-year BSc Computer Science student, studying at University College Dublin. He has an interest in software development, cyber security and web development and hopes to pursue one of these fields upon finishing his studies. He enjoys all things tech and also has a keen interest in sports.
Deepak Joel Yericherla is a 3rd-year undergraduate student majoring in Data Science & Artificial Intelligence at the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Naya Raipur, India. His main areas of interest are in data analytics and statistical modelling, although all domains in AI fascinate him the same. He enjoys music, manga, and board games. He is working on new techniques to detect PM2.5 concentration pollutants in the air using AI.
Prathistith Raj MEDI is currently a 3rd-year undergraduate student majoring in Data Science & Artificial Intelligence at the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Naya Raipur, India. His research interests include computer vision, deep learning, pattern recognition, medical image analysis, biometrics, generative AI, multi-modal learning, machine learning, privacy-preserving schemes for biometric data, emotion recognition, speech processing, and multimedia learning. He is currently working as an R&D Intern at Samsung Research Institute (SRI-B), Bangalore, India under the PRISM program, and previously he was an intern at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-BHU), Varanasi, India.
Nitin Sai BOMMI is a 4th-year Integrated Masters of Technology student at the University of Hyderabad, India, with majors in Computer Science. His research interests include machine learning, deep learning, and computer vision. He recently completed a research internship under Prof Siba K Udgata, University of Hyderabad, India. As of October 2021, he co-authored four peer-reviewed publications.
Bibhash Pran DAS is a penultimate year undergraduate student at National Institute of Technology, Rourkela. He is pursuing his major in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. His research interests include deep learning and computer vision. He is working on a research project for estimating the ground-based pollutant concentration from satellite measurements.
Navya JAIN is a first-year undergraduate student at Ram Lal Anand College, University of Delhi. She is perusing her major in statistics. She is currently a student intern at the THEIA Lab. Her research interests are computer vision and deep learning. She has been working on research projects on cloud classification and image deblurring techniques.
Pierre BERJON is a graduate student at Ecole Normal Supérieur of Electrotechnique Electronique Informatique Hydraulique and Telecommunication (ENSEEIHT) Toulouse France. He is currently a summer intern hosted by University College Dublin. His areas of interest are deep Learning and natural language processing, and is working on a project in automatic speech recognition in order to develop and AI-driven software framework that will automatically generate English sentences from a video tutorial.
- Nicholas Danesi, UCD MS, AY 2020-21
- Jason Walsh, UCD MS, AY 2020-21
- Barry McNicholl, UCD MS, AY 2020-21
- Ankur Patil, NCI MSc, AY 2018-19
- Jyotsna Patel, NCI MSc, AY 2018-19
- Chidozie Shamrock Nwosu, NCI MSc, AY 2018-19
- Robert Collins, UCD FYP, AY 2020-21
- Oisin Hourican, UCD FYP, AY 2020-21
- Aleksandar Dimitrov, UCD FYP, AY 2020-21
- Wang He, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Sun Jingxiang, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Wang Zihao, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Meichen Lu, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Wang Zhenhao, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Zhang Lei , UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Rongze Tian, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Fu Zixin, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Conor Meegan, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Fangben Zheng, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Yiou Zhao, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Hao Chen, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Ze Song, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Chao Han, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Yuefan Liu, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Jinkai Cui, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Weiting Zhang, UCD FYP, AY 2019-20
- Sharon Chia, NTU FYP 2016-17 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Joanne Lim, NTU FYP 2016-17 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Chong Kai, NTU FYP 2016-17 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Chen Danning, NTU FYP 2016-17 (Supervised by Prof. Lu Yilong)
- Wang Jiaqi, NTU FYP 2016-17 (Supervised by Prof. Lu Yilong)
- Ng Ai Jing Felicia, NTU FYP 2015-16 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Kristabel Khoo Shi Min, NTU FYP 2015-16 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Wong Chee Leong Charles, NTU FYP 2014-15 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Lim Sze Zheng, NTU FYP 2013-14 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Guan Zhao Ting, NTU FYP 2012-13 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Ho Zheng Yi (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore), UCD Intern, Summer 2021
- Bugra Alparslan (Middle East Technical University, Turkey), UCD Intern, Summer 2020
- Guillaume Tran (ENSEEIHT Toulouse France), UCD Intern, AY 2019-20
- Dewansh Kaloni (Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India), UCD Intern, AY 2019-20
- Sarthak Batra (Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India), UCD Intern, AY 2019-20
- Sarah Omer, NTU NRP 2016-17 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Megan Soo, NTU NRP 2016-17 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Loh Yi Chang, NTU NRP 2015 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
- Wenqing Fan, NTU NRP 2012-13 (Supervised by A/P Lee Yee Hui and Dr. Stefan Winkler)
All great research starts with a story. Our group’s name THEIA lab is derived from the Greek goddess Theia, also referred as the Titan goddess of sight (thea), and the bright blue sky (aithre). Also, Theia’s brother is Hyperion, who is a god of the sun. Quite interestingly, our group’s research is focused on computer vision, solar and renewable energy etc. Credits to Murhaf and Fabrizio for this wonderful idea.